Saturday, August 3, 2013

The GRAND Canyon

Our day at the Grand Canyon started out VERY early.  We were (OK I was) determined to see a sunrise at the canyon so I set the alarm for 445 AM.  I woke up and there was no sign of any light so I re-set it for 515 AM.  I had been told by our 'expert' that the sun starts to rise around 530 AM so I didn't want to miss it.  Again, nothing....  So, I snoozed my alarm for another 15 minutes.  And, again for another 15 minutes.  Finally, around 545 AM I started to see a hint of light but not enough to warrant getting the kids up.  Another snooze.  6AM and I got everyone up and we made our way to the viewpoint.  We met another couple who told us sunrise was supppose to be at 528 AM.... I was very confused.  Turns out clocks turn back an hour.... it was only 5 AM!  OOPS!  Well, we were definately on time.

We saw the sun starting to rise over the horizon the colours start to shift.  It was a very beautiful, peaceful sight to see.


 
 
The other advantage of starting out so early was we beat the rush - we had almost no traffic to fight.  Only the other crazy people who wanted to actually see the beauty of the canyon and not just "check it off their list of Yup I saw it and now lets drive like crazy and get out of here to the next stop" ones who came out later in the day.  We stopped and enjoyed the viewpoints.  As you can see we are all in our hoodies (well except Shanti!)  it was a little chilly in the AM - actually most of the day.  We were there during what they called the Monsoon season.  They were having quite a few rains during the day so we were quite lucky to have the weather we did most of the day to be able to see the views we did.
 
 
 
Well, that was the case until we got to Hermit's Point.  We took the shuttle bus to go to the end of the Canyon and just as we arrived they just down the shuttle and were not allowing anyone else to go up....  Lightning was seen up at Hermit's Point and once that happens they shut it down until it is safe again.  The only thing they were doing was bringing people back down from Bright Angel.
 
 
 

We waited and had fun for about 45 minutes and then decided to head back.  Good thing because just as we got into the truck it started to POUR.  Everyone around us was soaked to the bone.  We had debated staying the night but when we looked at the forecast it was rain, rain and more rain for the next few days.  We figured may as well get going.....  In the end, it didn't matter either way.  The rain stopped us in our path regardless.  We had heard it was hot in Las Vegas so I was going to be nice and get a hotel room but just I was in talks with a great travel agent in Edmonton we were stopped in our tracks.  Between an accident and a town just ahead of us flooding, we were stopped on the road for hours.  When we were suppose to be pulling into Vegas, we started moving.  Thank goodness we carry blankets, games and a bathroom with us!  But, I was too tired to make it to make it to Vegas.  I saw a sign for a KOA and just stopped.  Turns out we were 1 hour away from Vegas but who cares?  It was cheaper, nicer,cleaner and quite frankly it was there!  I pulled in, we plugged in and went to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment